- Art & Culture
- What's Nearby
- Nature Lovers
Built in 1763 by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, Leasowe Lighthouse is the oldest brick built lighthouse in Britain. It stands one hundred and one feet (27 metres) tall on Leasowe Common in Wirral and was one of four lights on the North Wirral Foreshore, used to guide ships into the entrance to the Rock Channel and the port of Liverpool.
Now a site of public interest, the Lighthouse features guided tours, special events and a Visitor Centre with displays about Leasowe Lighthouse, the North Wirral Coastal Park and the Wirral Coastline. It is the base for the Coastal Rangers and the focal point for the North Wirral Coastal Park.
The lighthouse is open to the public on the first Sunday of each month throughout the winter, and in the summer it is open on the first and third Sundays, 1pm until 4pm.